Today I started to build the chassis of the robot. One small hurdle that could not be avoided was the size of aluminum sheets that I could use / obtain. The 12” by 12” sheets of metal heavily influenced the overall size and look of the bot.
I cut the side pieces out using a band saw and filed down the edges. Finishing up the clean look was done with a countersink tool. This way the screws will set flush on the exterior. For the battery pan I measured 12” x 7&7/8”. This allowed for a 1/16 inch bend allowance on each side. The bends were wrapped up using a finger break. The total demissions for the battery pan are 12” long by 6” wide. I am installing the mini siren and you can see in the pictures that there is plenty of room for other goodies.
This week the wheels should arrive and I will be able to make the hubs on the mill. I am already thinking of colors and programming ideas…